A couple of days ago, I was interviewed by someone from a personal finance site on how to how to maximize travel time even with a full-time job. When the interviewer asked me how many vacation days I have taken in 2017, including weekends and any days the office was closed for holidays, I realized it was 50.
50 days! In one year I traveled 50 days while holding down a full-time job, freelance projects as a travel writer, and still had a social life at the same time. Had someone presented this idea to me, I would have thought it was impossible in regards to both time and money. But I did it. Take also a look at this great video about how to be smart and work full-time and still find the time to travel the world:
Here’s how the days broke out:
- 3 days in January to see my in-laws (well, actually my fiance’s parents) in Cleveland over Martin Luther King Day weekend. No time off work needed.
- 3 day weekend in April for our engagement anniversary in Lake Placid, 1 vacation day taken.
- 3 day weekend in April to go to Boston, 1 personal day taken.
- 11 days at the end of May and beginning of June for Iceland and Norway. I used 6 days vacation days and received 1 day off for Memorial Day Weekend, plus 4 weekend days.
- 2 day weekend in Maine, no time taken off from work.